Hi👋, I am Yi-Ling.
I am a research associate at The Alan Turing Institute, working on online safety and potential interventions. I completed my PhD in Information Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Trento and Fondazione Bruno Kessler, where I was advised by Marco Guerini.
My main research focuses on addressing online hate through abuse detection and counter-speech/counter-argument generation. I am interested in applying machine learning techniques and social network analysis to help understand dynamics of hate and misinformation, and develop applications to tackle online harm. I am also interested in research areas such as multilinguality, low resource natural language processing, LLM hallucination mitigation, argument mining and generation, psychology, and AI for social good.
- Yi-Ling Chung, Gavin Abercrombie, Florence Enock, Jonathan Bright, Verena Rieser. Understanding Counterspeech for Online Harm Mitigation. 2023 [arXiv]
- Yi-Ling Chung, Marco Guerini, and Rodrigo Agerri. Multilingual Counter Narrative Type Classification. Workshop on Argument Mining 2021 [Paper]
- Yi-Ling Chung, Serra Sinem Tekiroğlu, and Marco Guerini. Towards Knowledge-Grounded Counter Narrative Generation for Hate Speech. ACL Findings 2021 (Long Papers)
Also accepted at NLP for Positive Impact workshop 2021[Paper] [Slides] [Dataset] [Code]
- Yi-Ling Chung, Serra Sinem Tekiroğlu, Sara Tonelli, and Marco Guerini. Empowering NGOs in Countering Online Hate Messages. Online Social Networks and Media (OSNM), 24 (2021): 100150 [Paper][arXiv]
- Yi-Ling Chung, Serra Sinem Tekiroğlu, and Marco Guerini. Italian Counter Narrative Generation to Fight Online Hate Speech. In the Seventh Italian Conference on Computational Linguistics Clic-it 2020 [Paper] [video]
- Serra Sinem Tekiroğlu, Yi-Ling Chung, and Marco Guerini. Generating Counter Narratives against Online Hate Speech: Data and Strategies. ACL 2020 (Long Papers) [Paper]
- Yi-Ling Chung, Elizaveta Kuzmenko, Serra Sinem Tekiroğlu and Marco Guerini. CONAN - COunter NArratives through Nichesourcing: a Multilingual Dataset of Responses to Fight Online Hate. ACL 2019 (Long Papers) [Paper] [Dataset]
Rodrigo Agerri, Yiling Chung, Itziar Aldabe, Nora Aranberri, Gorka Labaka and German Rigau. Building Named Entity Recognition Taggers via Parallel Corpora. LREC 2018 [Paper]
- PhD Thesis: Counter Narrative Generation for Fighting Online Hate Speech. University of Trento, Italy. 2022.
- November 2023: I gave a talk on NLP for Online Harm Mitigation at the University of Jaén on November 8 2023.
- October 2023: I was on a panel discussing The Challenge of Disinformation in Generative AI at Symposium on AI, Free Speech and Human Rights on 13 October 2023 in Nashville, Tennessee.
- October 2023: I gave a talk on Language Models for Online Safety at Ofcom Online Safety Research Workshop on 9 October 2023 in London.
- April 2023: I am co-organising The 1st Workshop on Counter Speech for Online Abuse on 11 September 2023 at SigdialxINLG 2023 in Prague!
- March 2023: I was on a panel discussing the realities of online harm in the UK and countermeassures to it using AI at AI UK 2023
- January 2023: I am co-organising The 7th Workshop on Online Abuse and Harms (WOAH) on 13 July 2023 at ACL in Toronto, Canada!
- November 2022: I gave a talk at Heriot-Watt University about automatic hate countering using counter speech on 9 November 2022.
- April 2022: I successfully defended my PhD thesis 🥳🎉✨🌈
- September 2021: Our work on counter narrative classification has been accepted at ArgMining 2021!
- June 2021: Our paper on knowledge-bound counter narrative generation has been accepted at ACL Findings and NLP4PI!
- May 2021: Our work on hate monitoring/countering platform has been accepted at the journal Online Social Networks and Media!
- January-April 2021: Interned at HiTZ Center - Ixa Group with Rodrigo Agerri
- PhD, Computer Science, University of Trento/Fondazione Bruno Kessler
- MSc in European Masters in Language and Communication Technologies
- MSc in Cognitive Science, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan
- BSc in Psychology, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan
- Research Associate, The Alan Turing Institute (January 2022-present)
- NLP internship, Vicomtech, Basque country (January-August 2017)
- Researcher at Department of Psychological and Educational Testing, National Taiwan Normal University, Taiwan (March-July 2015)
- Served as a reviewer for LREC, ACL, NeurIPS, EMNLP, WOAH, COLING, Clic-it
- ACL 2019 Student Volunteer
- AthNLP Summer School Scholarship 2019
- Taiwanese European Scholarship for European Masters in Language and Communication Technologies